News Ticker
  • The Etingnean Empire got a new ruler after the old Emperor retired. Empress Estal's coronation ceremony will begin in a few days.
  • Medicence is planning to reveal a new medicine at their next exhibition.
  • Tensions between Darcden and Jaymazra are on the rise since Jaymazra is still in the posession of Bauleurian land that does not belong to them. Could this lead to a major conflict in the future?
  • A Tainted Core smuggler incident in Xenxin showed how bad their security is. The government is still trying to cover everything up.
  • The world-famous explorer Walldos challenged adventurers and explorers all around the world to reach the end of the Culm Ocean first. Will we finally learn what can be found there?
  • Advertisement: Are you a fan of Historia Heroes and interested in Atypian history? Then be excited for our newest edition - the Vylatys expansion that includes new figures!
Sefi Aravis

Smugglers and an interview with a Gyondouran warrior (contains outdated Aptitudes)

Sefi was currently in Xenxin, an absolutely great and welcoming place. She has already been here a few times, seeing as it is basically the "gate" to Shazan, but she never gets tired of it. The people here are just super nice, they have a lot of culture and for love foreigners, and getting through the border can be done without a hitch because they know how many people need to get through their country to reach the rest of Shazan. In short: Xenxin was one of Sefi's most favorite places - and she has seen a lot of places because of her job as the chief editor and journalist of Courier Champions, a popular news company. As such, she has been on all continents already and even visited a city in the Culm Ocean.

Sefi was not in Xenxin for a scoop but rather because she was returning from a short vacation she was enjoying here. Normally, she would have been on her way to cross the gigantic bridge towards Bauleura but she had seen someone interesting while her journalist senses were tingling. Sefi had only heard about them and seen a few pictures but she believed that said person was a warrior from Gyondou, a mysterious country that she didn't visit yet because it was currently ruled by a clan that is not exactly foreigner friendly, Kazazura or something. Interviewing someone from there was something she had planned for a while but it's hard to actually see Gyondourans outside their country, so this could be a lucky chance. Too bad she lost the other person and was now asking the locals if they had seen her. Sefi would never have guessed that this could get her into trouble, especially not in Xenxin.

The last person she asked was clearly a foreigner and not from here, some grim looking guy in heavy armor. After she asked about the Gyondouran warrior he started to look at her with suspicion.
"Are you her accomplice or something?", he asked and Sefi didn't like the sound in his voice.
"No, in fact, I have never met her before. I just want to interview her.", Sefi replied calmly. She wasn't scared of this guy, even though she never had any combat training but she was a journalist and wouldn't just back down.
"Interview her?" He didn't seem to like that fact and forcefully grabbed Sefi's wrist.
"What do you know about all this?", he continued before Sefi pulled her hand back but couldn't because of his strength.
"Mister, I would prefer that you let go of me immediately."
Great, why did she always end up in messes like that? Sure, this will probably lead to an amazing scoop but why did she have to get caught up in it?
"Just tell me! Are you with the guards?" She could tell him that she was a journalist but that probably wouldn't help the situation one bit. It would not make much a difference for this guy, she assumed.
"Mister, let me go now or you will meet the guards soon enough!" Whoops, that just came out of her without thinking. Agitating him like that was probably not the smartest move but she hoped that other people would help... Nope, they didn't. That was one of Xenxin's downsides. The people are so friendly and peaceful that they automatically avert any kind of trouble or are too cowardly.
So she had to deal with it herself, just great. At least that's what she thought but the guy suddenly let go of her and started to tumble, as if something had hit him.

Kireoki hadn't been in Shazan for a while now. After leaving her home to become a Core Hunter, so she could support her father who was an Essence scholar, something similar but less advanced than an Essence researcher or scientist, Kireoki had to learn a lot about the outside world since she never left Gyondou before that. She grew up in one of the secluded, secret cities of the Nezordu clan and underwent the training of a warrior even though these are rarer within her clan. The Nezordu are highly secretive and prefer stealth operations over open combat but there was still some use for a warrior like Kireoki. Anyway, she had already seen a bit of the world but didn't get far yet. The furthest she had gotten was Atypia in Rimsal.
Once she had collected many Cores she wanted to return home for a short while and then leave again but she was interrupted in Xenxin.

There she learned from another Core Hunter that a group of Core smugglers had set up camp in the peaceful country because of its position and because their guards were not the best. Xenxin's position as the gate of Shazan made it the perfect hideout for them and they started to attack Core hunters to steal their Essence Cores, so they could sell them. Selling Essence Cores was not illegal but these people also stole and sold Tainted Cores which is forbidden. The other Core hunter told Kireoki that they probably already had their sights on her as well as him. Said hunter just wanted to get out of this mess quickly but Kireoki decided it would be best to punish these criminals and protect other Core hunters that way.
He thought she was crazy but laughed and agreed to help her since the both of them would need to pass Xenxin in the future anyway, so removing the threat of these smugglers would make their future a bit easier. The other hunter and Kireoki split up to investigate the city while watching out to not be an easy target.

That's when she discovered a Umbrette in trouble. Kireoki didn't immediately intervene since she wanted to find out who was who. Turned out that both of them were looking for Kireoki but the woman said she would call in the guards so she probably wasn't the bad guy here, especially since the guy did not want to let go of her. The Gyondouran warrior decided to help her, after that she drew her double-bladed polearm and used the blunt area of one of the blades to heavily strike at his head.
This didn't knock him out but made him dizzy for a while - he should've worn a helmed - after which Kireoki continued to hit him with the blunt sides of both blades, alternating between them. The man was not prepared for an assault like that and was quickly knocked out.

"Are you okay?", Kireoki asked the woman after placing her weapon on her back. The other woman didn't look too terrified, so that was something.

Sefi started to feel a bit like the world-famous explorer Walldos, considering her current situation. What a great case of dumb luck. Not only did someone save her from this irritating guy but it was the person she had been looking for. Impressive non-lethal use of a weapon like that as well. Sefi was pleased and shrugged everything before this moment off like it never happened.
"Sure sure, but more importantly: are you actually a Gyondouran warrior? I have seen you a bit from afar but wanted to be sure that you actually were one.", she asked Kireoki which looked a bit perplexed but nodded. Good, so Sefi actually had a chance for an interview with her although the timing might not have been the best.
"Who was that guy? Is there something fishy going on? I really want to know. Oh, and you can trust me, of course.", Sefi continued. She wanted to be in on this. Yeah, it might be dangerous but she wouldn't be the chief editor of Courier Champion if she let a chance like that slip away. This was the perfect material for a great article!

This woman confused Kireoki. She just got her out of danger and the next thing she did was meddle even further, despite her clearly being a civilian. Kireoki was at a loss and didn't really know what to say. Was something like this normal outside of Gyondou? Should she just answer her or was that weird even here? Well, at least she kind of felt like she could trust the other person. Kireoki didn't know why but this woman was definitely not with the smugglers. The man she knocked out, however, probably was but she would let the guards take care of him.
"Er, yes, I am from Gyondou, I never knew that was so interesting.", she answered hesitantly before going over the rest of the Umbrette's questions. Those were a bit trickier to answer.
"I do not know but I assume he was a bad man and part of a criminal group.", was all she said for now. Of course, the other woman didn't let up and wanted to squeeze out more of Kireoki which made her feel uncomfortable.
"This is something a civilian should stay out of - it is dangerous and you could get hurt. It almost happened already had I not intervened." The Umbrette backed down a little bit still didn't look like she gave up.
"Right, right, I guess you do have a reason not to tell me. Anyway, I am Sefi Aravis, the chief editor and journalist of Courier Champion."
Kireoki started to show a weak smile. So she was a journalist, that explained her curiosity.
"I am Kireoki, 27. family of the Nezordu clan and I am delighted to meet you." Kireoki was as polite as possible while making a traditional Gyondouran bow. Some people would probably not expect a warrior to be this courteous and well-behaved but that was something she learned. She even liked to wear traditional garments when at home but prefered her warrior clothing and armory while traveling.

So she actually was a Gyondouran warrior! And she even told her which clan she was from although Sefi never heard about it before but she would have time to ask about that when she interviewed her later. First, she needed to get more information out of Kireoki who still didn't want to talk about what was going on. But Sefi was persistent! To her luck, the other Core hunter returned and didn't really notice the journalist at first.

"I couldn't find any of the smugglers yet, how about you?", he asked before noticing Sefi.
"Oh."
Ah, so that was going on! Smugglers in Xenxin which sounded surreal at first but actually made sense because it was an extremely lucrative place and the security was severely lacking. Sadly, this would just be a regular article instead of a scoop but maybe it could help to open a few eyes in Xenxin. Sefi decided to meddle even further.
"Smugglers, eh? What type? How big is their group? Have you been hunting them for long?" The questions sputtered out of her again and her voice made it clear that she would not accept any further rejections, so Kireoki finally gave up and filled her in.

"Essence Cores and Tainted Essence Cores. Yeah, that does sound dangerous. I'm not sure how long you have traveled but I'm sure you have heard how dangerous Tainted Cores can be. Heck, this could even bring the Purifiers on the scene and then things could get real messy." Sefi was pretty knowledgeable about a lot of things since that was almost a requirement to be a good journalist. How else would she report on things if she didn't know anything about them? And almost everybody knew about Tainted Cores and the Purifiers - people you didn't want to mess with unless you were a huge organization or a country. In the meantime, Sefi used her mobile frame to make a post on Horhsal Connect. After all, she had to keep her followers up to date.

Now the question remained on how to continue. The other hunter had the idea to not involve the guards just yet and instead wait for the knocked out guy to wake up to get some information out of him.
"Will he talk, though? Criminals can be pretty stubborn when it comes to interrogations, especially if you are not part of law enforcement.", Sefi said with a hint of doubt. They could probably threaten him but Kireoki didn't seem like the kind of woman to do that, so Sefi was interested in what they would do now.

Kireoki was curious about the other hunter's methods as well and it didn't take the man long to wake up again. He was, however, restrained and couldn't move a muscle.
"Oh great, you're going to interrogate me?", he said in a flippant tone.
"Leave this to me.", the other hunter said while dragging the man somewhere. Kireoki was a bit confused about that. Were his methods so brutal that nobody should see them? Was it a trade secret? No matter what it was, he returned after a short while.

"I was able to locate their hideout, the guy was more talkative than we thought, heh." He seemed pretty confident and Kireoki was glad that things he was able to get more information that easily.
"Check this out - their hideout is actually under the beginning of this part of the huge bridge that connects to Bauleura. Crazy, huh?"
Kireoki was surprised. That, indeed, seemed like an unusual hiding spot and she was curious how they were able to build like that. Maybe it was left there by the people that once built the bridge. Now that they had all the information they needed, they lost no time to go there.

"So, how exactly did you do it so fast? I have never heard of any interrogation technique that could something like that off.", Sefi asked. She seemed a bit cautious which Kireoki didn't understand since most Core hunters were good people, at least that's what she had seen so far.
"Well, I can't just tell anyone how I do things, right? That's my little secret technique for guys like that. That's all you need to know." Kireoki was satisfied with this answer but she did not know if Sefi was.

Sefi started to think that this Core hunter guy was kinda fishy. She didn't think that he was part of the smugglers but there was something else about him that she didn't like. Anyway, she was just a civilian so she wouldn't say anything and just go with the flow - she was just an observer, so to speak.
The journalist used the time they needed to walk to talk with Kireoki.
"So, what reason does a Gyondouran warrior have to become a Core hunter? Seems awfully specific instead of just becoming a traveler", she started. Kireoki showed that polite, faint smile again that felt a bit forced in Sefi's opinion. Probably wasn't that used to being questioned like that.
"My father is an Essence scholar and there are not many people in our lands that hunt Essence Beings because they think it is a waste of strength. That is why Essence Cores are rare and father is interested in studying them. This is why I decided to hunt Essence Beings while traveling to send them to him."

So that was her reason. Pretty noble, now that Sefi was thinking about it. She probably wouldn't have invested that much time just to help her parents. Well, not like they had the best relationship, anyway. When Kireoki asked why Sefi became a journalist, she had to think about it a while.
"You could say I became a journalist so I could share the stories I encounter with people and to spread some truth out there. We don't focus on the same news that other news sites focus on - which they often do to get more revenue - but rather those that would go by unnoticed, otherwise. There is this coronation ceremony in the Etingnean Empire soon but instead of just reporting about it we did our hardest to get an interview with the Empress. I mean, when do you get the chance to interview someone like that, huh? This whole case here right now is also something that nobody would know about if I wasn't here. Sure, there is a chance that you take them out and the guards arrest them but I'm certain they will sweep it under a rug and keep it secret. I'm a journalist to prevent that.", Sefi explained in full detail and she could see that Kireoki was amazed by that. The chief journalist lived dangerously because not everyone liked her meddling but she was ready to deal with that.
Anyway, they reached the bridge but now had to find a way to get under it. Sefi was sure there had to be some passage or other way so that the smugglers could transport their "wares".

The other hunter scouted the area around the bridge and was able to find a way down. Following said way didn't take long and they actually found something that could be described as a little building that was built on the bottom part of the bridge. Crazy how creative these smugglers could get. The hideout wasn't necessarily the best but it was enough to deceive the Xenxin guards.
"How do we go about 'em? I'm pretty sure there is a bunch of them inside.", the other hunter asked. Kireoki needed to think for a bit. The other hunter and her were probably stronger than each individual smuggler but they had numbers, so they needed to thin those out first. However, her thinking was interrupted because of a faint noise. It sounded like there was a fight going on inside the building, so the group decided to get closer and get an overview of the situation.

There was a lot of blood and a few of the smugglers looked like they were shredded by big claws - not an appetizing sight which made Sefi look away since she wasn't used to it.
"Damn, looks like someone went berserk in there.", the other hunter said before Kireoki looked inside. The next thing she saw was a smuggler getting slashed by an Essence Being that had a dark color - or rather a Tainted Essence Being that looked like a monstrous humanoid.
"A Tainted Overflow Essence Being, eh? Looks like one of these idiots touched a Tainted Core and hid it from the others before turning into this thing." The statement the other hunter made couldn't be any more true and now that the smuggler turned into it, he was starting to tear his partners in arms to shreds. It was great that the smuggler problem took care of itself but Kireoki couldn't let this thing run free - or else it might endanger civilians!

"I am going to face it and take it down. I have only ever faced Regular Tainted Essence Beings but I am sure I can defeat this one.", Kireoki stated before going towards the door.
The other hunter wanted to stop her but realized there was no use. She could fight it all she wanted but there was no way he was going to do the same!
Sefi was no use in a fight but there was something else she could do.

"Alright, you try to keep it here, I will try to find someone to help you. Preferably not the guards because I have the feeling they would use the opportunity to sweep everything under a rug.", Sefi said before looking at the other hunter that decided not to fight.
"You should come with me, I'm sure a Core hunter will make it easy to convince someone that there actually is a Tainted Essence Being around." He wasn't really comfortable with that but went along with it. Kireoki entered the building and engaged the creature while Sefi and the other hunter ran towards the city.

"Is there any reason you are so scared of that thing?", she asked him, showing clear doubts of his intentions.
"A freshly created Overflow Essence Being, a tainted one at that, isn't something that I want to face. I value my life.", was all he had to say. Well, that made sense even though it was kind of cowardly when compared to the brave Gyondouran warrior.
Sefi arrived in the city and decided to do something reckless.
"Hey, are there any Purifiers around? I have seen someone who uses Tainted Cores!", she yelled which drew a lot of attention. Most of the normal people hurried to get out of the scene before a woman in a light armor got closer.
"You are in luck, I am here because of some rumors. So there is actually someone who illegaly has Tainted Cores in their possession?", she asked after approaching Sefi while the other hunter started to sweat a bit.
"Sure thing. There is even a bunch of whole smugglers but that comes later. For now, I would like for you to inspect the pockets of this man." She pointed towards the Core hunter who was in shock.
"Hey now, what's this about?!"
"Just a lucky guess.", she said while smiling and sticking her tongue out. He knew he couldn't resist against a Purifier - she would probably hunt him down quickly - so he emptied his pockets, using a glove, and, surprise, he had a Tainted Core with him. That could explain why the smuggler from before was so quick to give up - the hunter probably threatened him to touch him with it. And that's worse than just getting temporarily tortured. Someone who touched a Tainted Core directly could become tainted themselves which will turn them into a Tainted Essence Being after a while. There is no cure for it other than being completely drained of any Essence Energy permanently - and nobody wanted that.
"You little scumsucker, using the profession of a Core hunter to get your dirty hands on a Tainted Core. Disgusting.", the Purifier said before calling for her men who arrested the hunter.

"Quick now, there's another Core hunter who's currently trying to fend off a Tainted Essence Being after one of the smugglers turned into it! She is actually noble, not like this guy.", Sefi told her. Purifiers had a controversial image but they were always reliable in situations like these. After all, their self-imposed task was to rid the world of any tainted influences.
"Understood, please hurry and lead the way."

Kireoki was glad that Sefi was able to get away safely. Now she could fight without anything troubling her. She entered the scene but it looked like the last smuggler was already killed. Too bad, now they could not get convicted anymore.
The Tainted Essence Being, which had a humanoid shape but was bigger and had claws instead of hands, noticed Kireoki and didn't lose any time to attack her as well. The Gyondouran warrior already readied her weapon and was prepared to fight this thing, even though it would not be easy at all.

The Tainted Essence Being leaped at her and tried to crush her with its arm and larger body alike but Kireoki had no trouble to jump sideways to evade the attack. The ground was crushed after it landed and Kireoki was glad she wasn't standing there when it happened. The warrior used the little time she had to attack it with two attacks, using each blade of her weapon before performing a quickstep back again. Didn't seem like that did a lot of damage but that was just to get some first damage in.
The creature screamed and charged at her - with pretty high speed! Kireoki had to hold her weapon before her because she didn't expect a fast charge like that. After making contact, the Essence Being started to push her towards the wall, probably trying to smash her into it. Kireoki had to get down somehow. She was able to do so but landed harshly on the floor before the creature crashed into the wall by itself. She had to get up quickly now and noticed that the Essence Being was already leaping at her - this thing had an amazing stamina. Did it even lose any? Kireoki decided to block this attack as well which reduced the damage but still knocked her back a few meters while she did her best to keep standing on her feet.
"It is so... strong.", she said to herself. This wasn't comparable to fighting another person who often had a similar level of strength - this thing had some crazy power behind its attacks!

Kireoki should probably use some Aggressor techniques but, sadly enough, these weren't all that effective against Tainted Essence Beings, so she refrained from doing so. She had to get more hits in, no matter what. There was a short dripping sound and it looked like Kireoki started to bleed a bit. Nothing serious but that last attack really did a number on her.
"How about this?" She started to spread her bug wings and used them to fly up a bit but since she was too heavy she could only do this for a short amount of time. Enough time to attack the creature from above, striking its head directly and almost smashing it into the ground. Kireoki still had a lot to learn as a warrior but she wasn't weak either. After that, she instantly used her horns to ram into its torso which didn't deal as much damage as her weapon but was fast and allowed her to push it after it still tumbled from the attack before.
Sadly, this was not enough to defeat it and it used one of its claws to sweep Kireoki away while it was still lying on the floor. The Gyondouran warrior landed on a wall while the Essence Being stood up again. It was wounded as well but its attack mere moments ago dealt a lot of damage to Kireoki who was in clear pain.
"You damn monster...", she said while getting up again. How could a mere smuggler turn into something so strong? Essence related things could be extremely scary if you thought about it.

This time, the Essence Being jumped high and above Kireoki, putting its claws close to each other to crush her with both of them at once while falling down. Kireoki wanted to try to evade that but there was no need to - a powerful shot, filled with Essence Energy, pushed the creature a few meters towards a different direction before it landed with a loud crash.
Seemed like Sefi finally found some reliable help.

Sefi and the Purifier tried to be as fast as possible. After reaching the building, Sefi stayed near a window while the Purifier went inside. She didn't lose any time and started to use a Farslinger technique after seeing that the Tainted Essence Being was busy attacking Kireoki. The charged shot she fired almost looked like a laser and was sure to do a number on the creature, even if only to push it away from Kireoki.
"I see you already did some work on it, impressive.", the Purifier said to Kireoki who was glad about the help. She was carrying a firearm, a rifle to be more precise. Having a Farslinger as support was a great situation and would help Kireoki to turn this fight around to finally slay this damn thing.

The creature got angry now - if Essence Beings even had emotions which Kireoki doubted - and actually extended its arms towards the Purifiers and Kireoki alike, probably to get both of them at once. Kireoki jumped and slashed the claw from above while the Purifier did a series of evasions to get out of its reach. She was definitely faster than Kireoki.
Kireoki followed her slash up with a pierce and had her weapon stick inside the creature's arm, so that she would get taken along when it pulls its arms back. After that she pulled her weapon out and sticked it right into its face. The Purifier, on the other hand, jumped high, aimed and fired another charged shot like before that smashed the creature against a wall but only after Kireoki was able to jump back. You could see that this Essence Being was still young, it didn't have many attacks and the arm extensions was probably the only special one it had. There was even a chance it only noticed that it could do it just moments ago.

"Time to finish this!" The Purifier supported Kireoki who gave chase and quickly attacked the Essence Being again. When it tried to crush her with one of its claws, the Purifier shot at it to give Kireoki time to evade. They eventually wore the Tainted Essence Being down. The Purifier got closer and shot the Tainted Essence Being right through its head which finally killed it. Took long enough.
Sefi watched the whole fight in awe and was amazed by what was going on. This was better than most TF shows she had seen! And she had seen a lot.
After the fight was over the Purifier checked her surroundings and just noticed all the corpses.
"Well, looks like they already got what they deserved. My men and I will take care of the Cores here, especially the Tainted ones. Thank you for your help. I will try to compensate you as soon as possible." She bowed towards Kireoki who was a bit embarrased by all this gratitude. Sefi joined the scene as well.
"I never would've thought that my vacation here would lead to this - absolutely crazy! But I feel like Kireoki and I should get out of here before the guards show up and make things complicated.", Sefi said before thanking the Purifier.

Kireoki agreed to Sefi's statement and didn't need any further thanks from the guards - that's what she was thinking would happen. But she didn't know that they could get distrustful if they knew that a journalist was on the scene and knew about all this. They left the building and went back to the city while talking about the events that happened beforehand. Kireoki explained the fight to Sefi who was kind of sad she missed most of it. All in all, they were on good terms and this whole smuggler incident welded them together. Maybe they would meet again in the future but nobody could know that.

Just when Kireoki was about to travel towards Bauleura, Sefi stopped her. Looked like they both had the same way for now - the huge bridge that connected Shazan and Bauleura. They decided to travel the huge bridge together by using public transportation since walking a bridge that was longer than many countries would take forever on foot. Plus, it looked like Sefi wanted something from her.

Once Sefi and Kireoki were seated, the Umbrette didn't lose any time.
"I would absolutely love to interview you as a Gyondouran warrior, to inform our readers a bit more about your fascinating country and yourself. Would you be willing to answer a few of my questions?", Sefi asked with a friendly smile. She did this as a journalist but was also curious herself. Of course, she would also write a seperate article about the whole smuggler situation, leaving no truth untold.

Kireoki was a bit hesitant at first but she agreed after which Sefi had her interview with her which she would post on Horhsal Connect.
After the interview was done, there was still a lot of time left, so they decided to talk a bit more about all different kinds of things. Hobbies, traveling experiences, Sefi's life as a journalist, Kireoki's life as a Core hunter and Nezordu warrior, books that Kireoki read, TF shows that Sefi liked (even though Kireoki had no idea how TFs even worked), and so on and so forth. The journey across the bridge took a few days after which they finally arrived in Bauleura where they would go their seperate ways because Sefi had to get back home to Chierresa.
They parted ways but told each other that they should meet again some day in the future. However, they didn't specify a time or place and left it up to fate.

"What an interesting person.", Sefi said to herself before starting her journey home. It wasn't really a journey like wandering around since she mostly used public transportation to get back, already thinking up all the needed details for her article.
"I wonder if the others did fine without me. Nah, they always do, so there's nothing to worry about." There was always someone holding the fort in the Courier Champion bureaus because they did not only create online articles but also newspapers.

More days later, she finally arrived in her home town. The first thing she did was check back at Courer Champion's main building to see if everything was fine. It was, so next was going home. Everything looked like before she left. Looks like it was a good idea that she hired a cleaner for the time she was gone. Sefi just noticed how tired she was, so she just threw her stuff in a corner, undressed and fell into her bed. The article could wait for another day.

Scrolling affiliates

Eledria - JRPG-inspired Fantasy

Static affiliates

Forge Messiah, an original fantasy Ascendant Witchlight

Directories and topsites

RPG-D RPG Initiative RPGfix