News Ticker
  • The Etingnean Empire got a new ruler after the old Emperor retired. Empress Estal's coronation ceremony will begin in a few days.
  • Medicence is planning to reveal a new medicine at their next exhibition.
  • Tensions between Darcden and Jaymazra are on the rise since Jaymazra is still in the posession of Bauleurian land that does not belong to them. Could this lead to a major conflict in the future?
  • A Tainted Core smuggler incident in Xenxin showed how bad their security is. The government is still trying to cover everything up.
  • The world-famous explorer Walldos challenged adventurers and explorers all around the world to reach the end of the Culm Ocean first. Will we finally learn what can be found there?
  • Advertisement: Are you a fan of Historia Heroes and interested in Atypian history? Then be excited for our newest edition - the Vylatys expansion that includes new figures!
Falzaar Detiruan

Old acquaintances

Falzaar, a general of the Imperial Army, was visiting a place he had never visited before - the young downtown that hadn't been around for all that long and was the first downtown in all of Etingnun. All these TF frames in some stores, strange buildings, and "hip" young people were a confusing sight for him, especially since he had been raised more traditionally back when Zedanzar still existed. He was one of the champions of the Zedanzian king but now is a general of Etingnun - the irony. He had to see how Etingnean troops attacked and occupied his home and now he was one of them to secure a better future for his daughter. Said daughter was alone at home but was old enough to take care of herself, he trusted her.
He was not on duty, so he did not wear his armor but rather some normal clothes, a black classy vest, a red pullover, and some grey trousers.

Anyway, he was only here to hang out with someone. Someone he had met on the battlefield as an enemy in Zedanzar at first. It was not personal, though, so when they met again in the Etingnean army, even though the other person was moments before leaving it, they made up and somehow ended up as acquaintances. They both had a free day, so they decided to meet up here. Falzaar was not sure why exactly this place, however. Well, the other guy would know what he was doing.

He wasn't totally late, right? Blazolt tended to take a bit longer while it was morning and had a hard time to get out of bed. That's what free time did to him but he would get much more disciplined once the academy opened again. It was currently on a break and most students were home with their families or stayed somewhere else. Blazolt felt sorry for the few poor souls that had nobody and stayed in the dorms the whole vacation. Well, he had his own house so everything was fine for him. Not having one as a dignified instructor of the Imperial Academy would be embarrassing. His training was tough and he was definitely biased to be less hard on girls but he was still a good instructor that sometimes even hang out with his students. Of course, he still preferred his older buddies that were in his age range. Blazolt was actually meeting one of those although he was more of an acquaintance when he was still part of the Imperial army. They knew each other even before then but that was as enemies on the battlefield since Blazolt was part of the army that attacked the country of Zedanzar that doesn't exist anymore because of that. He knew he should feel guilty for all the lives they destroyed but he never really did - he was just doing his job. Still, he had enough of the army a while after that and left it. Too many near-death moments for him and he wanted to get old. Working as an instructor is much safer and you get to pass on all your experience to others.

Blazolt was a bit late when he arrived in the downtown and Falzaar was already waiting. Jeez, the single dad with a teenage daughter who should be totally busy was here much earlier than him, that sucked. Quick, an excuse had to be made.
"Yo, what's up. I was completely on time, but, uh... a young woman was hitting on me, so I lost some time." Alright, that one was pretty damn bad. And it didn't happen which made it even worse. Falzaar sighed but didn't really seem to care all that much. He was probably thinking something like 'Really now'.
"Anyway, let's hit up a nice bar first. I know a good one.", said Blazolt after that, instantly forgetting about what happened prior.

That was such a bad excuse, Falzaar did not even know where to begin. And why did Blazolt have to choose an excuse like that? Anyway, Falzaar knew that he was just late because he was slow and did not get out of the house early enough. One could think that Blazolt has always been this lax but that could not be further from the truth. But that was a story for another time, maybe.

After that bad excuse, Blazolt followed it up by suggesting a bar. Of all places! Falzaar did not drink ever since he got over the death of his wife. He was pretty sure his daughter would not have liked it if he was drunk all the time, so he stopped. And now this guy wanted to drag him into a bar. Unacceptable.
"I would suggest we do not. I have to get back home to my daughter later and I do not want her to see me drunk.", Falzaar said autonomous and while Blazolt was not too happy about it he backed down.
"Alright... I guess we could visit an arcade or something?", Blazolt asked while scratching the back of his head.
"A what now?" Falzaar never heard of something like that. Must have had to do with high-tech stuff. His daughter had a mobile frame and used the Datanet but that was all that Falzaar knew about these things.
"Well, you know, a place with arcade games. Video games but in big boxes that you don't own. Most of those have games that didn't make it to the big systems like consoles and stuff. Like, they are not published by Digital Powerhouse and Entertainment Media, so they have to make do in these small arcades.", Blazolt explained. Falzaar did not really understand much of it but he understood that these arcade games were kind of unknown compared to big, published video games.
"You can find some really bizarre or rare games sometimes.", Blazolt continued.

Falzaar started to wonder if his daughter would like something like this. She was a youth, after all, and grew up in Etingnun, unlike Falzaar who spent a big portion of his life in the traditional Zedanzar.
"I would not mind visiting one.", was Falzaar's answer to the initial question. He was curious now.

Neat, seemed like Falzaar was up for it. Blazolt wasn't so sure since he knew how old-fashioned the Zedanzians were. Himself, he wasn't really a big gamer or anything but he knew how to enjoy some arcade-games from time to time. His favorite ones were hack and slays where you just slashed your way through hordes of enemies. He wasn't so sure if Falzaar would like the same, though.

They arrived shortly after passing some other stores, like a Datanet café, a high-tech store and so on. Sure, these were not as modern as shops in Earth but Horhsal was making its own progress and started to modernize in a different way. Blazolt saw a mercenary in full armor sitting around in the Datanet café which kind of looked out of place but he probably traveled around like that. Maybe he used the café to keep in contact with his family and friends.

Anyway, they entered the arcade and while it was a familiar sight for Blazolt, Falzaar still needed some time to look around. Yeah, he was never to a place like this before, Blazolt could see that easily.
"You know of different game genres, right?", Blazolt asked the middle-aged general.

What a question, of course Falzaar knew about different game genres!... At least he thought so.
"Yes, there are... er, these RPGs and others.", he said. Alright, others could be anything so he only listed one. That was not a lot but at least something. Blazolt sighed but looked like he anticipated it.
"True, but there are also games like rifle or bow shooting ones, hack and slashes, beat em ups, fighting games, and stuff."
Falzaar was not sure if he could remember all of this. Besides, why did they have to go here of all places? But he thought about his daughter again and how he could learn something here that he could talk about with her.
"I feel like I would be most comfortable with an RPG.", Falzaar said while going with one finger over his mustache. An old habit.
"I kinda knew you would choose that. Let's do something similar with co-op. Like, you know, two control sticks on one machine and working together."
The middle-aged general was fine with this and looked for an appropriate game. Too bad he did not know anything about them, so they all looked the same to him.

Yeah, Blazolt himself didn't really know why he came here. Maybe to show the old man (not like Blazolt was that much younger) some technology and high-tech fun. It was obvious he needed it.
"Eh, let's just pick Champions of Legend or something.", Blazolt suggested. It almost looked like Falzaar got a bit nostalgic.
"Champions, huh?" Oh yeah, he was a Zedanzian champion, Blazolt remembered now. Those were like the super elite guard of the king or something. It's hard to tell what exact role champions had in each country since there were differences. Champions in Etingnun, for example, belonged to the Order of the Essence and were not a guard for the Empress. This role was fulfilled by the guardians of the Empress, not champions.
"We can pick something else."
"No no, it is fine. It seems highly interesting."
'Good, I guess', Blazolt thought to himself and took the controls of player 1.
It was a pretty simple RPG that was supposed to go to the big screen but was not good enough for either of the two big publishers, so it got downgraded to an arcade game instead. Pretty sad, if you thought about it. But that was what you had to endure as a game developer, there were only two huge publishers and you could only port your games to either or both of their systems. Digital Powerhouse and Entertainment Media had no other competition besides themselves, so they controlled the market. Anyone who did not pass their quality controls had to move to arcades.
Blazolt and Falzaar used their wealth card on the arcade - every machine that took money had a device for that because Horhsalians did not use physical cash like bank notes and coins - and started the game. Their first quest was to enter a cave dungeon and slay a slime king, pretty typical start for an RPG but the class system was unusual since the developers decided to not use Aptitudes like in the real world but rather job classes like hunter, warrior and stuff. And those had their own skills instead of Techniques and Aptitude abilities.

Falzaar was actually not that bad at the game. Sure, he died a few times in the beginning but he quickly learned to utilize his character's abilities to the fullest while developing strategies for the whole group - you could see that he was a skilled general. The first boss was defeated quickly and they continued for a longer time than expected - until they eventually defeated the final boss and finished the game.
"That was highly enjoyable, I must say. The developers put a lot of effort into the group dynamic and making every class useful in its own way. But I assume the game was too short for others to become really noticed, what a pity.", Falzaar said after they were done.
"I dunno, man, I just play stuff. Well, I was glad we were on the same side. Didn't want to lose to you - again." Blazolt had a faint smile on his face while saying that.
"That is old history but I am glad I decided not to kill you back then.", Falzaar answered. They were both over it and glad they were able to meet again as acquaintances instead of as enemies.
"Oh, it is this late already? I should get back before my daughter starts to become worried." He still had some responsibilities at home and was serious about them. 
"Better hurry or she might bust your ass, hah.", the instructor said while laughing. Blazolt was definitely not a bad person, just a bit strange sometimes.

Falzaar left to get back home while Blazolt stayed a little bit longer, mostly to not make things awkward by going part of the same way home - he didn't like that after you already said your goodbyes to someone.
"Might as well grab something to drink while I'm here.", he murmured and left for a bar. He saw a few acquaintances, had a good time and then went back home. Sadly, that was one of his last free days since the semester vacations were almost over and his work would begin soon. Being an instructor was tough, especially with new students who had to be whipped into shape first. And he had to make clear who was boss, of course. He was wondering what the next batch of new students would be like before getting to some paperwork he had to prepare.